Bharat Ratna Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee Ekana Cricket Stadium, affectionately known as BRSABVE Cricket Stadium and Ekana Cricket Stadium, stands as a monumental symbol of India’s cricketing passion and prowess.
With its rich history, distinctive features, and intriguing pitch dynamics, this stadium promises to be a pivotal venue for the upcoming 2023 ICC World Cup matches, including Match 10 (AUS vs SA), Match 14 (AUS vs SL), Match 19 (NED vs SL), Match 29 (IND vs ENG), and Match 34 (NED vs AFG).
A Glimpse into History – Ekana Cricket Stadium
Commissioned in 2014, the BRSABVE Cricket Stadium emerged as a world-class cricketing arena under a public-private partnership between Ekana Sportz City and the Lucknow Development Authority. This endeavor received widespread acclaim and was spearheaded by the then UP Chief Minister, Akhilesh Yadav.
The stadium is affectionately named in honor of the late Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, a revered figure in Indian politics. The partnership awarded Ekana Sportz City a 35-year lease to construct the stadium and an additional 66 acres for real estate development.
Ekana Cricket Stadium has become a cricketing hub in North India, boasting a seating capacity of 50,000 spectators. It serves as the home ground for the Uttar Pradesh cricket team, UP women’s cricket team, and the IPL franchise, Lucknow Super Giants. Notably, the Afghanistan cricket team also adopted this stadium as their home ground in 2019, emphasizing its growing international stature.
Unique Pitch Characteristics
BRSABVE Cricket Stadium is renowned for its pitch characteristics. Making it a captivating battleground for bowlers and batsmen alike. With lengthy straight boundaries, it offers a distinctive challenge to players.
For Test matches, the average first innings score hovers around 187, while the fourth innings witness an average score of 33, making it a potential hunting ground for bowlers.
Stat of Ekana Cricket Stadium
- In ODIs, the stadium has hosted 9 matches. Teams batting first have won 2 times, while those bowling first have claimed victory in 7 encounters.
- In Test matches at Ekana Cricket Stadium, teams have played 1 match, with the side bowling first winning on all occasions.
- In the thrilling realm of T20 Internationals, this stadium has witnessed 9 matches. Teams that batted first emerged victorious in 5 contests, while those opting to bowl first secured triumph in 4 matches.
Political Events and Awards
Besides cricket, Ekana Stadium has witnessed significant political events and award ceremonies.
- In August 2021, it hosted an award distribution ceremony to honor Indian athletes who excelled at the 2020 Summer Olympics.
- In March 2022, the stadium also became the stage for the oath-taking ceremony of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
BRSABVE Cricket Stadium stands as a symbol of sporting excellence and political significance, making it a pivotal venue for cricketing battles and historic moments. As the 2023 ICC World Cup unfolds, all eyes will be on this iconic stadium, ready to script new chapters in cricketing history.
England will play India at the Bharat Ratna Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee Ekana Cricket Stadium, Lucknow, on Sunday 29th October. Expect that to be a huge game! 55,000 will be in there! pic.twitter.com/Ka1lQaK3aP— Don Topley (Toppers) (@ToppersSnr) September 21, 2023