Major Announcements and Squad Composition
In a much-anticipated announcement, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has unveiled the Indian squad for the Asia Cup 2023. The announcement was made by the Chairman of Selectors, Ajit Agarkar, in a press conference held in Delhi alongside team captain Rohit Sharma.BCCI Twitter
Rohit Sharma (Captain), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, Suryakumar Yadav, Tilak Varma, KL Rahul, Ishan Kishan, Hardik Pandya (VC), Ravindra Jadeja, Shardul Thakur, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohd. Shami, Mohd. Siraj, Prasidh Krishna— BCCI (@BCCI) August 21, 2023
- Return of the Titans: Shreyas Iyer and KL Rahul have made their comeback, marking their full fitness.
- New Faces: Youngster Tilak Varma has earned his maiden call-up to the national side.
- Leadership Dynamics: Rohit Sharma will captain the side, with Hardik Pandya continuing as the Vice Captain. However, there’s a buzz around Jasprit Bumrah potentially challenging Pandya for the vice-captaincy role in the near future.
The squad comprises a balanced mix of experienced players and young talents. The full squad is as follows:
|Rohit Sharma (Captain)
|Hardik Pandya (VC)
Traveling stand-by player: Sanju Samson
- The Asia Cup 2023 will be played in a hybrid model, with Pakistan hosting four league matches in Lahore and the remaining games taking place in Sri Lanka.
- Tickets for the Asia Cup have already gone on sale, with the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) initiating the first phase of ticket sales. The second phase will include tickets for the highly anticipated India vs. Pakistan match scheduled for September 2.
- BCCI Secretary Jay Shah recently held a private meeting with Indian national team head coach Rahul Dravid. Given the upcoming critical competitions, this meeting has garnered significant attention.
With the squad now announced, all eyes will be on the team’s performance and strategies for the Asia Cup, especially with the ICC Men’s ODI World Cup 2023 on the horizon. The inclusion of seasoned players and emerging talents promises an exciting tournament.
The much-anticipated clash between India and Pakistan on September 2nd is already generating buzz.The inclusion of fresh faces alongside seasoned players promises an exciting tournament ahead.
Read More: Asian Cup 2023 ScheduleVijayCricket.com